Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hw - 57 Initial Thoughts On Prom.

Fairy Tales Don't Always Happen  
  3 Years ago, i used to live in Los Angeles California. I was born and raised there until i was 14. Since i was a child i grew up with the kids i went to school with. My closest friends ended up going to the same middle school and high school that i went to. As a child i had always dreamed of going to prom. I used to see all my older cousins go and then talk about is as if it was the best night of their lives. Ever since then i pictured it as a magical day that i would enjoy very much. Let's just say fairy tales don't always happen. Turns out my parents separated and we moved away. Moving away was a crucial experience for me. I felt like everything i'd ever dream of and all those moments i pictured had just slipped away in an instant.  


Indiana?
  Why, was the question i constantly asked myself. I felt as if i were in the middle of nowhere. I hated the idea of moving to SouthBend Indiana. I finished my freshman year there and part of my sophomore year. After a while i didn't find it too bad. I had fit in perfectly. I had lots of friends and i was involved in various activities. Just when i was getting used to living there i come home one day to hear that we are moving again. Yes, AGAIN!  I wasn't as upset as when i moved from California though. I was hoping that my mom would say we were moving back. The thing is, we don't always get what we want. Or maybe, just maybe we do.....


The Big Apple!!!
OK, we do! New York? I mean all i could think of was the fashion! I found it to be almost like California. Some adjustments were very complicated but i knew i would succeed, or so i thought. Getting to school of the future was scary. Everyone was so different. I was immediately judged and i had fit in but i wasn't comfortable.I switched amongst a couple of groups of friends. It just didn't seem right. NO matter where i went it just wasn't the same. All i could ever think of was my wonderful hometown, Los Angeles. As a whole i love New York and i plan to live here. However my high school experience was not the one i pictured. It definitely could have been better. I have met wonderful friends and have had great times though. On the other hand looking at pictures on facebook of my friends at prom from California caused me some tears. It hurt to see that i could have been in those pictures back home where my true friends were. My friends who i had spent most of my life with. I felt like when i moved here people had their friends already because they had known each other already. It was hard for me even though i get along with everyone. 


What's The Whole Point!?
My point is that i am not looking forward to prom. It is this Thursday and to be quite honest i wished it would have been cancelled. This is not fair to say for others but i don't want to go. I always saw myself going but back home. Now that it is happening here it feels different. I will be going to prom but only because some of my close friends have asked me to. Problem is i haven't even found a prom dress yet. Thinking about prom made me realize that it will only be bad if i make it bad. So, i have to make the best out of this situation or it will be a disaster. On that note, I will try my best to let go and enjoy myself . Who knows, maybe it can turn out to be an unforgettable night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment