Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hw - Culminating Project - Care of The Dead

I say:
"In my point of view, I do not think someone's death should keep you from doing what you normally do. I know that if i died instead of having people cry i want them to be happy for me. They should be happy for the memories we shared and because I got to accomplish a wonderful life. That being said my final perspective of dead is not a sad one, it is the final step of life, the big finish. You should cherish your last days and make them special. That being said, this brings me to my project. "


Well what is it!?!
My project will be five facts about care of the dead. Instead of making it plain i will add some flavor to it by putting gifs along with the facts. What is a gif? A gif is:"A popular format for image files, with built-in data compression." Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!


So, i come to class and find out we are going to be learning about care of the dead. And i told myself "more death?"




GIFSoup







Then Andy explains that it is different from the last unit and that we will learn about different funeral processes. 
Me: (in relief) oh ok. yay!



GIFSoup





I learned a lot and will be sharing 5 facts that i found intriguing, and then my reaction.
Me: (smiles)





GIFSoup





Fact #1: In preparation of the deceased, the person is embalmed so that he or she looks intact. They dress the body, add make-up, and put on jewelry. Blood is removed and replaced with embalming fluid.
Me: I disagree! We should accept people's death and not have to change their image.



GIFSoup





Fact#2: There are 4 types of cemeteries.

  1. Modern Cemetery: It is spacious and landscaped-styled; it embodies the idea of state and rather than church controlled burial.
  2. Monumental Cemetery: Traditionally styled; where they have headstones or other monuments made of marble, granite, or similar materials that rise vertically from above the ground; contains maintenance practices.
  3. Lawn cemetery:  It is covered in grass; each grave contains a commemorative plaque. Lawn setting: flowers, toys, grass, trees, and mowers.
  4. Natural cemetery aka eco-cemetery/green cemetery: new style; in a area set aside for natural burials(with or without coffins); they are motivated "by a desire to be environmentally conscious with the body rapidly decomposing and becoming part of the natural environment without incurring the environmental cost of traditional burials.
Me: Wow! i thought it was either you got buried or cremated.


Fact#3:
Cremation: when a person is cremated they can be put in a columbarium wall. That is like a type of cemetery for cremated  remains. They can be kept in urns at home by families or scattered in an attractive place as well.
Me: Cool!


Fact#4:
Cremation rate is increasing. It has increased to 50% on the west coast and increasing more on east coast. Reasons for increase: 
  1. This generation is less religious. Therefore, instead of a traditional funeral we now use cremation
  2. We all have to fly from far places sometimes to attend a funeral and don't have time to visit the tomb later. To avoid that you could cremate the body and bring it home.
  3. Last but not least, money!! the economy isn't great right now. 
Me: huh? 




GIFSoup





Fact#5:
Resomation: The recent study that shows a fast forward version of the natural process of decomposition. This liquid can be used as fertilizer on farms and gardens. "the body is sealed inside a vault-like tube filled with water and lye and steam-heated to 300 degrees. Three hours later, some powdery bone fragments and 200 gallons of fluid are all that remains."It doesn't lead to toxic chemicals. 80% less energy than standard cremation. 


Me: What!! That is crazy! (shocked)



GIFSoup



Reflection, my final stance!
In this care of the dead unit there were a lot of things that we learned. It all started as bubbles and lead to our increase of knowledge. This unit was far more intriguing than the illness and dying unit. At first i had never thought about my death, but now i know what i want them to do with my body. I want my organs to be donated if useful, then i want my body to be resomated. The purpose behind that process is so that i feel like it wasn't useless at the end and it had a purpose. I could help benefit someone yet fertilize farms or gardens.  
                                 
Me: LAUGHS OUT LOUD....



GIFSoup





The End!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU :)


(dances)



GIFSoup




  

6 comments:

  1. Ariel,

    I thought your post was very funny. The images clearly displayed your reactions, while making the text more fun to read. I do wonder what made you go "huh" about the cremation facts. I do not find that information that surprising, as our society is evolving into a less religious state. I had never heard of resomation and it seems like an extremely cool idea. I believe it is clearly the most natural and should be made more widely known. I cannot say that I would particularly choose it, I want to be cremated I think, but it seems like a nice idea, that eventually you could help create a garden grow through your death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ariel,
    I think your post is really funny. It made want to read your blog as well as good to watch. I think this is so you to make a joke into everything and have fun in life, so why wouldn't you have fun you death. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel, I liked how you gave your perspective on death. Usually people are sad when death is around them, but you think the opposite. I would be sad if someone died, but I don't need to agree with you, for you to be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey ariel, I really liked your post. It was full of color and it was fun to read. I liked that it was organized neatly into sections and the pictures made me want to continue reading. I think that if you put pictures of the cemeteries that would have been cool so people know what they are looking at and reading about. Other than that you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ariel i enjoyed reading your project. it was funny and at the same time very unique. it had the key ideas of what we learned in class along with a little more depth of what we learned. maybe next time you could focus a little more deeper on the stuff we didnt learn inside class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mentor
    The writer demonstrates a creative yet appealing scenario portraying the process involving a unit of death. The artistic views presented by the writer not only further explains the concepts but upholds credibility with an informative aspect. The reflection exhibits an ambiguous outlook lacking congruent ideas. Lastly, the writer seeks out to further bestow knowledge upon the readers with a keen sense of creativity with a comprehensive outline.

    ReplyDelete